Pages

7.02.2010

Liberty and Justice

Last night I found myself in a blah mood.  I was bummed for no good reason and I posted so on Facebook.  I received a wonderful suggestion from an old friend to do something just for me, and let the other stuff just hang for a bit.  So I took her suggestion and picked up a book I started reading last October and began to read.  I LOVE to read.  However, I don't read as much as I should, especially fiction.  I know myself.  I get into a book and I can't put it down.  And if a book doesn't draw you in, then why are you reading it. 

Last night I was reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (thanks Angie!).  My heart broke for the characters in the story.  I couldn't believe I have made it through all these years of schooling and never have read this classic.  The story is meant to expose the plight of the working class people in the Chicago Stockyards in the early 20th Century.  It follows the life of a Lithuanian family that has come to the United States in hope of a better life.  Only to find a life of hard labor and low wages, corruption at every level, and con-men lying in wait to take them for a ride at every turn.  As I poured over page after page of one horror after another I couldn't help but think, "I am so glad we have laws to protect us from our employers.  I am so happy that this is not how the United States operates any longer."  Oh if only that were completely true.

My mind wandered to modern day reality where not only in other countries are people forced into what equates to slave labor and paid unfair wages with no hope of escape, but in our glorious "free" country many people are still working in conditions not unlike those described in the book.  Don't believe me?  Do your research.  Modern slavery is alive and well to the 27 million people worldwide held captive.  Read stories of real victims who have suffered unspeakable attrocities, and your heart will break too.

This weekend we celebrate our freedom, but I can't help but think of all those who do not have the great freedom we enjoy.  In 2007 Terry and I traveled to Cambodia on a missions trip with our church, Church of the Harvest.  There, we had the opportunity to meet almost 20 little girls (ages 5-17) who had been rescued from sex slavery.  Those little girls were so beautiful!  They danced for us and sang.  We prayed for them and then they prayed for us.  I don't believe any one of us had a dry eye it was so wonderful to hug and love on them!  God showed me His heart that day.  I had lived in ignorant bliss to the fact of these types of abuse were going on in the world every day and now my eyes were opened to a reality of it's existence.  As Christine Caine said, the story had a face - 20 faces.  Small, wide-eyed, beautiful faces of children who had been robbed of a childhood and had their innocence stollen all for profit and lust.

I realize this is not the "Happy 4th of July" post that we most people will be making this weekend, but my mind is weighed down by this knowledge.  I cannot sit back and let these things continue.  I must work toward helping those who are oppressed. 
This is what the Lord says: Be fair-minded and just. Do what is right! Help those who have been robbed; rescue them from their oppressors. Quit your evil deeds! Do not mistreat foreigners, orphans, and widows. Stop murdering the innocent!  Jer 22:3 (NLT)
Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows.  Isa 1:17 (NLT)
I have a dream.  I want to be a modern day abolitionist.  I want to help rescue those who are held captive.  I have plans to accomplish this dream that will unfold with time.  Do you want to help?  There are many organizations that are working to accomplish this same goal.  Check them out!  Contribute to help the cause!  Next time you say the flag salute - keep in mind the last phrase, ". . . and Liberty and Justice for all!"  For ALL not "all Americans" - ALL.

The A21 Campaign

0 comments: